Our Service For You

Medical Negligence
NHS Negligence Complaints

NHS Negligence Complaints

If you have experienced poor care on the NHS, you can make a formal complaint to the healthcare organisation in question. Additionally, if there has been an incidence of medical negligence, you can take legal action against the NHS in the form of a medical negligence claim.

Making a complaint against the NHS

You have a legal right to make a complaint about the NHS. This might relate to poor medical care that you have received, or it might relate to the refusal/withdrawal of medical care. As set out in the NHS Constitution, you also have the right to have your complaint investigated and to receive a prompt reply from the NHS.

If you would like to make an NHS complaint, you need to find out what the complaints procedure is for that particular organisation. Every healthcare organisation in England and Wales has its own complaints procedure. Normally you can find it on the organisation's website, or if it is a hospital, directly from the complaints department. Or if you feel able to, simply ask a member of staff how to make a complaint.

NHS negligence complaints making a formal complaint

You can make a complaint orally, in which case the healthcare organisation may try to resolve the matter with you in person.

However, to make a formal complaint you must put it in writing. Ordinarily you can either write a letter to the hospital complaints department, or fill out a form online. If you want to complain about your GP, you will usually have to write a letter addressed to the practice manager of the GP practice.

In your complaint, you must detail the dates of the incident, where it occurred, the details surrounding the complaint and the parties involved. You should also highlight whether you have come to any harm as a result of the incident.

Making a claim against the NHS

If you wish, you can also speak to a solicitor about taking legal action against the healthcare organisation. You can do this whether or not you have made a complaint. Therefore you may want to make a complaint and speak to a solicitor once you have received the response. Or you may simply want to proceed straight to taking legal advice.

A solicitor who specialises in this area of the law will be able to tell you whether you (or your loved one) has been the victim of medical negligence. If so, you will be able to make a claim for compensation against the hospital, GP surgery or medical practitioner to blame.

NHS negligence claims

To talk to a solicitor about claiming compensation, please get in touch with us today.

Can We Help You With A Medical Negligence Enquiry?

Early legal assistance can be vital so please contact us if you would like to discuss your situation. Please call us free on 0800 234 3300 (or from a mobile 01275 334030) or complete our Online Enquiry Form.

Free enquiry

Bookmark This Article?


Free Claim Enquiry

Complete a short enquiry form and we will contact you.

Free enquiry



"Before we contacted you we had no real idea that we had grounds for a medical negligence claim but after speaking to you if became clear that Wendy was indeed treated poorly. Chris took the time to explain what was happening and kept us to speed. Our deepest gratitude to you all and Chris in particular."

"I would like to say a big thank you to you for making this whole process easy and relatively painless. You kept me informed throughout and you were always polite and courteous in all forms of communication. I would not hesitate to recommend you to friends and family, so a really big thank you and I wish you all the best in the future."

» Read More Medical Negligence Testimonials?

Helping Clients throughout England and Wales

contact us


Free Medical Negligence Guide

'7 Questions You Must Ask Before Choosing A Medical Negligence Solicitor'

Free download